Sunday, May 25, 2008

Testy Relationships

I have many people I consider friends.  I believe many of them consider me a friend too. 
 
I have many people who I frustrate and irritate in a big way.  Most of them are the same people who I consider and who consider me their friend.
 
How is that possible.  I don't think I have any friends who I don't irritate sometimes.  That's the price of relationship.  If you aren't frustrated by them sometimes you are not in relationship, you just have an acquaintance. 
 
I'll go so far as to say if you have a relationship where there is testiness from time to time it's probably a relationship sent by God.  That kind of relationship will increase your holiness. The acquaintances you have do nothing for your holiness. 
 
It's the tension between you and the other person that sharpens you. 
 
I've been married for 42 plus years to the most wonderful woman in the world.  We have never ever had once cross word between us.  If you believe that I have land in Florida to sell you. 
 
Our early years of marriage, the middle years of marriage and in fact this last couple years of marriage have helped me become more holy. 
 
So, if you are my friend, if next time I irritate you, if next time I frustrate you, consider it a prophetic gift. You tick me off some too.  As we work on and resolve our relationship we both become more of what God wants us to be.
 
In fact, I worry about a person who is unwilling to enter into a relationship and expect to never have tension in the relationship.  That's not a relationship.  Without that pressure, no holiness results.
 
So, next time I say or do something please forgive me, because I'll do it again, and again.  It's just God.  Working things out in both of us.
 

3 comments:

John said...

Your honesty is one of the reasons your real friends love you. If you can throw a punch you have to be able to take one. You can do both. And you do it with love when I push you back. Thank God for a manly friend like you.

Anonymous said...

i guess the hard part for me is being the one of us who is always right. that can be such a burden to bear.

Gene said...

ANON,

You made me laugh this morning. Thanks