Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Bad Theology of "Christian" Radio

We just came off the road. It was a lot of driving. I listened to talk radio, NPR, Classical music and from time to time tuned into so called "Christian" radio. We have some stations in the Chicagoland area. They are OK. The music is OK, sometimes a little sappy for me, but OK. I don't listen much. The talk is OK but mostly meatless. The real reason I don't listen much to Christian Radio is because of the bad theology most of the preachers on the radio provide to the masses.

The bad theology is not heresy as such, it's not evil, it's not weird, it's just insipid and without a challenge that will lead a person to a deeper walk in Jesus. It just allows them to live in their lukewarm nominal Christianity comforted that they are all going to heaven. They aren't but they are comforted. That may be sin.

While traveling in Wisconsin one such encounter that had me pounding the steering wheel in anger was listening to Turning Point with David Jeremiah. He's very popular. On the TV too. Good speaker. Mild. Kind. and WRONG!

He is the classic case of smooth words for itching ears. Not evil, just fully vegetarian (meatless). Milk for babies.

The one that had me yelling at the radio in the dashboard was his teaching on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. I hesitated to post the link because if you don't understand this critical theology you might think he is right. He's NOT! He's so messed up on this I won't even TRY to counter his deviance from understanding. HE says that when you are saved you are baptised with the Holy Spirit. FALSE.

He said that all true believers are baptised with the Holy Spirit. FALSE. He then makes the comment that made my head explode. He said, (you can hear if for yourself) that Jesus never commanded people to be Baptised with the Holy Spirit. I guess he must have torn the first Chapter of Acts out of his Bible.

For the record, I think David Jeremiah is a good man, a nice man, a kind man, a good speaker and a successful minister of the gospel. He's just so mislead and has so reconstrued his theology to fit his level of spiritual engagement that he probably believes this to be true despite the evidence of Scripture. He's not dangerous unless you consider that he is leading others to live far below their God Ordained potential.

I guess I would define THAT as dangerous. And that is why I don't listen to much Christian Radio. Too much bad preaching. My Blood Pressure and the steering wheel can't take it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking for some real meat...I would suggest a listen to The Sonlife radio Network

mms://206.192.61.163/sonlife

Gene said...

Anon, I agree, I do listen a fair bit and find that there is meat there.