Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gift of Life and the Gift of A Life

"Get a life", You've heard people say. I've heard people say to me.

The gift of life is used in giving blood, opposition to abortion language and organ donation. What is more important is the Gift of A life.

Peggy spoke with a woman about our age a couple days ago. She is in a long tedious battle with cancer. One she knows she most likely won't win. A good day is one she wakes up to. It's a gift of Life and the day she wakes up is the gift of A life for her.

We spent Saturday with my folks. Dad (Earl) has been suffering from a lot of things. He's over 90 and that explains a lot. He spent about 128 days in a nursing home. Then he came home. Mom (Ruth) has been taking care of him. They have been married 68 years. She isn't quite as young as she once was. She is struggling to be a caretaker. But for the 16 months he has not been in the nursing home he has had LIFE. This for her to him has been a gift of A life. One she must be commended for giving. It is my hope and prayer that for as long as he is able to be outside the confines of a nursing home bed and as long as it's possible with help and other things that he can continue to Live. Just sitting outside in the breeze is a joy.

I know it's hard but it's a gift. Sometimes the best gifts given are the ones given by someone who pays a brutal price. Think Jesus. Think the gift of the Magi story you read as a kid.

Today we will say goodbye to my Uncle Tommy. He was a most unusual and creative man. He built the only 3 cornered house I am aware of. His opinion was that a house with only 3 sides would be more energy efficient. I'm not sure but he was creative. He will be missed. He was the last of my mom's (Ruby) family. The funeral is in a couple hours. This will not be a mournful situation. This will be a celebration of life.

He died as I hope I will. No pain, no agony, no nursing home. He just said goodbye and was gone.

So long Tom - Lead on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about your uncle. God bless the family and yours. Comfort in the hope of resurreciton. Blessings to your 'dad' and family. H.A.H