Thursday, July 17, 2008

Honoring Age in the Church

Today at lunch I mentioned to Peggy an older man we had known when we were foolish and young. We liked him. He liked us. But because he was into his 80's I'm not sure we honored him.

He's gone now. That was 40 years ago.

When I was young I didn't realize the wisdom age had. Yes there were old fools. But there were as many young ones as well. I think about those who have had the greatest impact in my life and for the most part they are all gone.

This may be self seeking seeing as how I have lived 6 full decades. Our churches are youth oriented. I still think of myself as young and love the rocky kind of worship music. I grew up in the 60s and rock and roll is my soundtrack. It's not about that. It's about men like Old Poppa Joe who died a few months ago. He was the one who discipled and grounded me when I was first saved. I will never forget him singing with tears flowing down his face, "Thank you Lord for saving my soul, Thank you Lord for making me whole, Thank you Lord for Giving to me, Thy great salvation so rich and free". I wonder if younger than me people even know this song.

But, time marches on. I think it's good if we reflect on who the Bible reveres age. This man thought of it and wrote:

Hmm, . . . think about these words from R. C. Sproul Jr.

When I last crossed a decade barrier in my own aging process, God was good enough to grant me this small bit of wisdom—the Bible honors age, not youth. I came to understand that the disappearance of my youth was something God thought a good thing, and if I were wise, I would agree. Now a decade later and I have been given this bit of wisdom—easier said than done.

My calling, as I grow older and my responsibilities grow, isn’t to take a mental vacation to that time when my responsibilities were few. Nor is it to grow grey hairs (or in my case, lose hairs) worrying about those responsibilities. Rather what I ought to do is long for, or better still pray for the maturity that rests in Christ in the midst of responsibilities. I need to not wish I were younger, but to pray I’d grow wiser.

He's right you know!

Discontent seems to be the mood of our lives. Do you remember how dissatisfied you were with your life when you were a kid because you weren't grown up? And are you now dissatisfied with your ilfe because you're not a kid anymore. The ol' gray mare just ain't what she used to be for any of us. Yet, it is an honor to attain old age and R. C. Jr. is right. Think of these Scriptures.

Leviticus 19:32

“‘Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the Lord.

Job 12:12

Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?

Proverbs 16:31

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.

It may be we need to consider the wisdom of age along side the vigor of youth. I need to at least.

No comments: