Tuesday, August 12, 2008

How can I find the Church I'm Looking for??

A person called AJ from Sycamore IL wrote and asked a question I am not yet ready to answer well. AJ asked:
I live in Sycamore, IL. I am wondering if there is a prophetic church like the ones you write about, in this area. I am not interested in this confessional type of worship you write about, though. Also, I would like to know what you mean about the 'true prophetic flow.' Is this something new? I come from a strict non-denominational Christian church. I am looking for a change, but I would like to find myself in a Bible based contemporary Christian worship with GOOD music. Any help would be appreciated.
I have pondered an answer to his question since finding a church that helps refill the leaks in our souls (a Holy Ghost Gas Station) is difficult.

Some churches would say to AJ: our style, our methods, our traditions, our example is what you need. Even if you don't like it, it's good for you. Kind of like Holy Cod Liver Oil. Fills you up some but tastes horrid.

Others that I could not recommend are churches full of candy cane, snow cones and popcorn. Filling but not nutritious. Fun, even exciting, but no meat.

To understand what AJ is asking, let me parse the question. AJ wants a church that is:

Bible Based:
What I hear him saying is that the dependence on the word of God is foremost. Not teaching or preaching that is 7 ways to have a better complexion. Some of the preaching I see from famous preachers on TV is little more than rewarmed motivational speakers a la Tony Robbins. Or a Home Depot Commercial, "You can do it, we can help". AJ wants to hear what God is saying thru his word to us TODAY! Leave out the seminary jargon. Make clear the law and gospel depths I need to find. Help me (AJ would say) to find peace with God and find my Destiny and purpose in Him. Unlock the riches in the word and then help me to learn to do so.

Contemporary
Lose the robes and all the trappings of tradition, help me walk into church and not feel like I have to change to take part. I don't want to have to go thru a transformation to come from the world I live in 6 days a week to enter the one you exhibit in your church. I'm not looking for trappings, I'm looking for Jesus in the world but not of it. I don't want a Disneyland experience like main street that looks beautiful and clean but in reality is all a front. I'm here to encounter the real Jesus, help me do so without the encumbrance of your media generated packaging. Make it real.

Christian Worship
I love God. I want to worship him. I want to experience him. I want to sense his presence. I want to know him thru my participation. I want to be surprised by him. I want you to help me discover and encounter him in a fresh way. I'm a Christian and I want to Worship my King. That's why I'm here. That's why I came to be a part of your service. Give me a chance to do so. Help me engage. Let me come to the throne of grace. When we pray, communicate along with me the secrets and the pains in my soul. Don't read the prayer. Don't Pray some wrote prayers. Go deep when we pray. Help me find true release as we talk to our Daddy.

GOOD Music
I want music that speaks the language of my Spirit. I want music that I can sing inside all week. I want music that is engaging to me. I don't need to hear the top 40 from the Christian Music Station in worship. I want music that as we sing I see Jesus. I like music from the 80's and 90's that I grew up with. I know all those songs. If I have to learn to sing another form it's going to be a stretch. Let me learn a little at a time. A hymn now an then might be a good experience but it's going to take me a while to get used to it. Find music that we will sing in Heaven before the Throne of God. Holy. Worthy. Blessed be the Lamb that was Slain. It's out there. Once in a while I hear it. Not on the radio. Friends might have a CD. Let's enter in and go deep.

True Prophetic Flow
AJ would say, I don't know what it is but it sounds intriguing. Maybe that's what I want in a church. Something that intrigues me. If I can come to church and sometimes hear from a person who speaks in behalf of God directly to me to encourage me or build me up I would find that worthwhile. If I could get a new understanding spiritually because of a prophetic word I would want that. If I might even apprehend a promise of God for my destiny, my future thru a prophetic word that would be wonderful. One word from GOD might change my life. Not all the time, surprise me, help me come with expectation. What I don't want is that no prophetic word is EVER allowed to come forth. If it's all teaching and preaching I can lose hope. I need to be fed by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God and that includes the prophetic flow as well as good teaching and preaching.

OK, AJ, Based on that I'm going to go against my policy of NOT recommending Churches. I have only attended a few churches in Sycamore or DeKalb. Two come to mind. The Vineyard in DeKalb. It's just off state street downtown. AND. The little Church of God in town. You'll have to look them up in the yellow pages.

I can't tell you if they are the kind of church you are looking for. I won't list which ones are not for sure. These two at one time or another were commended to me.

And you are welcome to join us at the corner of LaFox Road and Rte 38 Just west of Geneva IL. It's about a 25 minute drive from Sycamore. We aren't there (what you see you are looking for) yet. I have hope. God gave me a vision long ago of the Church that looks like what I have parsed from your question. I don't know of any others. From time to time I go to Faith Center in Rockford on South Main Street to enter into such a Church. It's pretty close to the ideal. There are others. If you are hungry, you will find it.

If you come visit us, ask for me. I'll be there. Come on the 24th about 9 on Sunday. I'll look for you. Maybe God will tell me something about what he has for you? I don't know. There is no perfect church, but what you have outlined is a pretty good start.
Let's pray God will manifest himself in this way here and now. We need God for Real in this area. Even so come Lord Jesus.

No comments: