Thursday, September 04, 2008

Two Cultures, Two Worlds, Two Peoples

I wonder if we have ever been more divided as political parties. I heard Chris Matthews on MSNBC say at one point that the culture of the people at the RNC is completely different from the culture at the DNC.

I agree. I am not in sync at all with the candidates nor the ideas of those espoused by the platform, delegates and most of the speakers at the DNC.

I am a cultural conservative.

I have friends I grew up with who are cultural liberals. I am of the opinion there is no middle ground. We cannot agree and only get angry if we discuss these core cultural differences. I can't for the life of me figure out how people who grew up in the same town I did ended up so far out on a limb.

We may be seeing a fundamental ideological split. But, maybe John McCain can heal us. I know this I haven't been able to convince my friends on the other side to change their views of the world. They certainly haven't changed mine or most of the people who identify themselves with the people and ideas at the RNC.

McCain is a good guy but a little liberal for me. Palin is the salvation.

I don't see civil war, but somehow we have to come to a point where we aren't talkless. This is catastrophe. Frankly THEY will have to change. See there's the problem. They believe the same about me.

How do we fix this. Compromise isn't the answer. How? Take life. Do I agree that it's OK to abort every other baby? Do I agree to sanction boys to marry boys but I'll just not look? Should I agree to let teachers abuse children with harmful anti Christian concepts in School, ok, but just those who's names end in a-j on even numbered days and then k-z on odd numbered days?

See? There is NO COMPROMISE.

If you figure this out you let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God -- having a form of glodliness but denying its power.....always learning, but never able to acknowledge the truth....in fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceivedd. But as for you, continue in what you have learned........ (this is frm the Holy Spirit, a revelation for all time, through the Word of God which abides forever.

Ron McK said...

Gene
This is very, very sad.

The sad thing is that, although the struggle between the cultural conservatives and the cultural liberals is intense and uncompromising, it is a side show compared with the real struggle between the world and the Kingdom of God.

The really sad thing is that both you and they are fighting on the wrong side in the real struggle between the world and the Kingdom of God. Both christian cultural liberals and the Christian cultural conservatives are undermining the Kingdom of God by their compromise with the world system (Mark 10:35-44).

Talking to each other is not the solution. Both groups need to cast down their idols, so their eyes can be opened to a vision of the Kingdom of God.