Wednesday, October 29, 2008

How I spent my Weekend Last

Our Church put on a kingdom weekend last weekend for the Women of the Church. I was there helping or maybe getting in the way mostly. Don and I were the only two men from the Church other than a few hours of Pastor Phil.

The women were greatly moved by this, mostly. Here are some pictures Pastor Phil took.

The group picture I took. I never appear in the photos. My lovely wife does. She's the one at the podium in Yellow.

In case you wonder what we do, we follow the cursillo format. It's cursillo that caused me to come to Jesus. It has morphed into dozens of iterations. Cursillo was the catholic iteration. Then Lutherans used it, then it became Road to Emmaus, Tres dias.

Pentecostals do this as well. It's called Encounter. The only difference is a Deliverance service.

Otherwise it's almost exactly the same.

I guess it's so effective, that's why so many people use it. I wish everyone would have the opportunity to do this. Every church should have an active retreat renewal ministry like this for both the men and the women.

The only regret I have are the women who attended who's husbands did not first attend. That was a mistake. Oh, it did them good. But it's very hard on a marriage when a wife is set on fire for Jesus and her husband is passive. It creates distance. More than should have been. More than was there before the retreat.

I pray for those precious women. They have a doubly hard situation now. We only had a few, but those are enough.

Lives change, it's better if couples can change together. If they do, their marriage becomes even stronger.

So, if you ever have a chance to do the cursillo or encounter retreat, do it. It will in fact change your life forever.

No comments: