Tuesday, May 03, 2005

And you thought slavery was abolished

I’ll have to go to the final prequel to Star Wars. I am dreading it. I have come to the conclusion after the last two I suffered thru that if George Lucas would just come on the screen after we are all seated in the auditorium and say, “OK, I got you. You’ve paid your 8 bucks, you have your 11 dollars worth of popcorn and pop. Since it’s no better than what you were going to see, we just want to thank you for being a total idiot. Enjoy your popcorn and go home.” The screen would then go dark and that would be that. It would at least be honest.

I have to go you understand; Just as I had to see Matrix 2 and 3. I would have preferred they would have given me a pass on going; I would have mailed in my 8 bucks and skipped the popcorn. Now that I think of it, there are almost never sequels which even come close to the original. Rocky, Superman, Batman, Predator…..

That’s why I shudder to think that Adams wrote other books relating to Hitchhiker’s Guide. I smell a sequel. YUCK.

On the other hand there have been a very small handful of sequels that were as good as and in one case better; Spiderman and the Star Trek Next Gen movies.

So, like an obedient drone I’ll file into the theater in a couple weeks and whine like mad. Wait, I already did. I’m a prisoner of hope; I keep hoping I’ll be surprised. What are the chances? Maybe I’ll win a million in the lotto. Bout the same I’ll wager.

No comments: