Tuesday, May 03, 2005

We’re a Nation of Laws - and that's good?




I’ve heard this mantra enough lately to come to the conclusion that it’s doublespeak (1984). For instance, during the Terri Shaivo incident we heard constantly that “we’re a nation of laws”. This uttered by spineless politicians who knew the right things to do. Even my beloved Rush Limbaugh is in lockstep with this drumbeat.

In Hitchhikers Guide there were the fat ugly Vogons; bureaucratic drones that took their lunch breaks and did all their work according to a set of rules, laws and regulations that made everything gray. The irony was not lost on me. We are becoming Vogons. Not only in government but in business too.

I remember when AT&T was under the impression that it made laws in the late 70’s. If you tampered with or sent digital information over a voice line it was “against the law”. It was a culture shock when telecom was deregulated. When I told an AT&T employee that there was no law behind their rules it tipped her over. Companies always become more and more bureaucratic until they implode or are taken over by a more flexible creative competitor. It’s part of the life cycle.

It’s also part of the life cycle of nations. Germany and Russia were more and more nations of laws (particularly about Jews and political opponents) until they imploded. I worry about the USA.

I am not a liberal by any means. I do question everything I see or read. So sometimes what I hear my conservative brethren saying I question just as vigorously. Does that make me a libertarian? I don’t think labels work here. I think, I question. Is it still legal to do this? Will I go to jail?

Which brings me to the point: If as US politicos are famous for saying, “we are a nation of laws” my question is; Who’s Laws? The talk shows are full of self-righteous folks saying, “keep your nose clean, behave, and you don’t have to worry about the law”. I have done enough in-court time to tell you that it isn’t that simple. Not until you see the laws tyranny do you understand it’s potential for danger to you and yours.

Since 9-11 2001 we now have cameras everywhere, TSA, bank transactions over $1000 tracked, Patriot Act, Government of the, by the and for the Corporations (ie new bankruptcy bill), and a thousand other growing intrusions into your life’s road until you can barely keep from falling off this government imposed straight and narrow. In fact oppression comes when you do fall off and they have something to hold over your head. (Ve haf vays of making you talk)

Who’s making these laws we are a nation of? Un-elected Judges, bureaucrats, obscure lines in laws passed in omnibus spending bills, and rouge lobbyists with deep corporate pockets buying for sale politicians.

That’s who. Not you, Not me. It’s out of control.

This is not innocuous. In Toronto Canada they have allowed Sharia courts to pass judgment on Muslims. Can we be far behind? We need Muslim controlled oil don't we. How could we deny them this in the good old USA.

Iran is a nation of laws too. Take a look at this Justice being handed out.

Do we simply want to be a nation of laws abandoning all sense of reason and redress? I think we need to rethink this whole thing. Not lawlessness. Maybe laws bigger than a nation. Think about it. How about revisiting the bill of rights?




No comments: