Thursday, May 05, 2005

Long Long A'GORE

Growing up in rural ND as a teenager was a mixed blessing. In early High School I had a girlfriend. There's not much to report from that relationship except this one event. One sunny September afternoon I was walking her to the corner after school. She was upset, crying (15 yrs old). I being the center of everyone's universe in my eyes asked her what I had done to make her cry. She set me straight with these words, "What makes you think everything is about you". She was right and I never forgot it. I also didn't marry her. But thanks Jean wherever you are. I learned that day that sometimes people who are close to you have pain a part of which you don't play at all. It is egocentric to think you do, so get over your big bad self. It's not always about you.

This rush of memory (something those of us in our 7th decade do a lot) brought to you courtesy of Eric and his mention of a new compilation of Leslie Gore. You Don't Own Me is a great song and a good thing for young men to learn. I did.

Tip of the hat to Julie, see, I learned how to use the permalink. HA!

No comments: