Sunday, May 01, 2005

Haunting Movie Scenes Become Reality

Years ago I saw two movies on cable TV that haunts me to this day. I don’t remember the name of either one but I remember a scene. If you know the name of either I would appreciate it.

Movie One: A queen or some mighty power middle ages or earlier. She is worshipped by her minions. The scene, she and an opponent or potential ally are standing at the bottom of a hill. On the hill is a long sharp blade. Perhaps designed as a method of execution. As a demonstration she looks up the hill, points to a minion and signals him to come to her. He understands her, leaps upon the blade on the hill and is cut in half from the groin up. She (the queen) is unmoved by this display of obedience and uses this senseless act as a card in negotiations.

Movie Two: An evil leader (oriental as I recall it) has a group of trained competent young men who serve him fearlessly and in absolute obedience. He is meeting with an opponent. He has brought with him what appear to be two body guards, dressed in black. During the discussions the evil leader snaps his fingers and the two young men hang themselves in 2 seconds and die. The evil leader is unmoved. The opposition is impressed.

I don’t understand wanton waste of life, any life. I believe it is wrong to commit suicide. I believe that if you do it’s insanity. I’m the kid who at the age of 5 killed a robin with a toy bow and arrow and grieved. I’ll hunt. But I don’t kill without a reason. I’m not against just war. I’m not against capital punishment. Some cancer must be cut out.

I have preached on these two movie scenes. The issue for me is the devil’s ability to delude people so completely that they give their lives without any regard for the consequence. In both cases in the movies, no thought was given to the fact that these people who killed themselves deluded end up in Hell. I know that about now if you don’t share this doctrine you just tuned me out. Hear me out.

That’s why the last couple day’s headlines disturbed me. What in the world kind of delusion demonically inspired causes this kind of wanton waste of life.

A man bombs a group of people and then as the police come, jumps to his death; an hour later his fiancé and sister fire several rounds at a bus and then shoot each other. Columbine was a horror when the two young men killed several others and then shot each other. How is this horror with the same deception from the pit of hell any different. That young man, his sister, and his fiancé woke up in Hell. I’ll bet when he gave her the ring and they were planning their life together this wasn’t in the honeymoon plans.

The other was the large number of suicide car bombings in a single day in Iraq. 5 people die in one day for what?? Gallows humor says they come from the Bagdahd suicide hotline. "You're depressed? Too bad. Listen can you drive a stick shift?" Funny? Not really. The truth in the humor is maybe these are self destrutive people in the first place. But the question is: How is that different from Columbine? How is that different from the horror of the two movie scenes I mentioned? People totally deluded giving their lives not in the line of duty but because some evil prince of darkness tells them to.

I don’t understand it. I think the level of delusion must be incredible. If you don't believe in Satan take another look. He's still an evil prince or princess calling people to eternal destruction.

No comments: