Saturday, May 07, 2005

V-E Day May 8, 1945

Tomorrow is Victory in Europe Day plus 60 years. I was 7 weeks old when victory was declared. I don’t remember it at all. I do remember the aftermath.

Growing up in small town America there were many opportunities to see the strong young men and women who had served in that brutal war. When I was 10 years old most of those veterans were an average age of 35; still young, erect and strong. On Memorial Day, Flag Day, 4th of July, and Homecoming we would have parades and the honor guard of veterans carrying the flag would walk by. Even at 10 yrs old I was impressed by the stature of these people.

I remember seeing Gold Star Mothers, those who had lost sons in battle. I didn’t understand it then. I barely do now. There were signs in windows in our town demonstrating the same thing. It was a holy thing.

These noble men and women are disappearing from the face of the earth. I wanted to once more say thank you to that Generation Brokaw called Greatest.
May those of us who now must carry that banner recognize and value the trail blazed before us and travel it with proper reverence. I will

No comments: