Saturday, August 25, 2007

Hanging Cats

In the little ND town I grew up in there were some sadistic kids who enjoyed finding stray cats, taking them to the barn and with twine hanging them by the neck until dead.

Those sadistic kids became mean sadistic adults. Most mass murderers hung cats or equivalent as kids.

How we treat others and how we treat animals says much about our character. I try to be nice to waitstaff at restaurants, people who work "Menial" jobs" like I did once. I know what it's like to be acknowledged. So I do. How we treat people who cannot repay your kindness and who will never see you again is a clue to who you really are. I am conscience of that and try to live that way.

Same with animals. I don't even like to trap mice. I don't kill spiders if I don't have to. I will swerve to avoid a wandering gopher. Some people enjoy hitting them. Not me.

I revere life. All life. Animal and human.

Yet I hunt, proudly. I fish. I eat meat. I am offended when animals that could have been providers of food are wasted. Ergo my support of horse slaughter and butcher. In the movie "The God's Must be Crazy" the Little bushman hunter kills a gazelle or some such. After which he kneels by the dead animal and thanks it for being sacrificed for his meal.

Last night I ate venison. I always thank the deer I shoot for being my meal as I clean it. I like to do my own field dressing because I do it with respect and honor. If you aren't a hunter you can't understand.

I am convinced that many non hunters have a distorted view of what and who animals really are. As wrong as hanging cats is, revering an animal above it's station (treating them like children or people) is just as wrong. They are animals. They should be treated as such, no more, no less.

In a previous post I asked the question which was filled with more stupid and vile writers and commenters, Daily Kos or Huffington Post. In the race to the bottom I vote for the Huffington post today. Lawrence O'Donnell, a liberal without a lick of brains and soulless, writes that what Michael Vick did was no worse than catching fish. No, he hung dogs, like hanging cats and laughed about it. Sadistic. Mean. He did this as a kid I'll bet and he now does it as an adult. Perhaps being in the NFL requires a meanness that is over and above the norm. If that's the case I'll never make it in the NFL. I'm a tad old and overweight too.

Animals are not people. They deserve dignity. That's that. Vick is a mean guy.

No comments: