Monday, August 20, 2007

An Old Old Spruce Tree



There is some discussion and controversy about this. I will tell what I know. My cousin Wally can tell what he knows.

Here's the story as told to me by Uncle Wally years ago. When I was born in 1945 shortly after that my dad planted this tree. That would now be 62 years ago. The tree is well over 62 feet high.

So, it would stand to reason.

Wally's story is different. He says my dad planted it when he was born. I don't know if that's so.

So, we'll see.

On the other hand if a big wind comes and blows it down what does that mean...........

I remember the song:

My grandfather's clock
Was too large for the shelf,
So it stood ninety years on the floor;
It was taller by half
Than the old man himself,
Though it weighed not a pennyweight more.
It was bought on the morn
Of the day that he was born,
And was always his treasure and pride;
But it stopped short
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

CHORUS:
Ninety years without slumbering,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
His life seconds numbering,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
It stopped short
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

SO, old spruce, no matter what the story, live long and prosper. I plan to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when are your birthdays? who is older and by how much? there may be a compromise answer where you are both right. If you were born first and tree planting was not convenient, and wally was born later, he may have planted it then to commemorate your birth. so telling wally it was when he was born was true and saying it was about you being born would both be true. or if it was planted when wally was born before you, he may have decided to use it to mark your growth somehow. these stories are not always literal. if you know what i mean.