Sunday, September 30, 2007

ReThinking Ministerial Credentials

I have been credentialed as a minister for 6 years. I carry a little card in my pocket. I am credentialed with a reputable international denomination. Those ministerial credentials are fully transferable to other recognized denominations like the Assemblies of God and Foursquare.

I have been scratching my head lately to figure out why I should continue to be credentialed. It is not without cost. It seems to be without benefit.

I have this philosophy, anything I am part of I can't contribute to in ways other than money I won't stay part of.

It's the Who's Who syndrome. You or I can be in any Who's Who book in the world (and there are several) if we just pay a fee and submit our photo and some information. I believe if you pay the price your cat can be in Who's Who.

I am wondering why I am part of the group I stay with. Long run what are we really doing? More important, what am I really doing. I could do what I do without the credentials. I sometimes think I would be better off to be as credentialed as Jesus is.

I'm going thru a time of doubt. My friend Barry de-credentialed (for lack of a better word) himself from an organization I know of. I'm not sure he isn't right.

This is transparent doubt. Thought you would want to know.

There is an old saying, people will join and remain a part of organizations (including Churches) not for what they can get, but for everything they feel like they contribute other than money. Keep thinking the who's who book.

Yet, think of how much time we spend on the money part in churches when the money will always follow ministry if we empower people to be engaged (other than money).

People invest in what they are vested in.

I'm not and that's the problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

people will make time for whats important to them too. why be somewhere youre wasting away at. saying woulda-coulda-shoulda in the end is am excuse and a poor one at that when you had the choice all along