Thursday, October 04, 2007

Picture of a Prophet

I am a prophet for better or worse. I can't say if I am a good prophet or a bad one, I just am one.

Like a dog. Not all dogs may be good dogs but they are all dogs.

I ran across this the other day, Leonard Ravenhill who died several years ago wrote this piece on how much the Church needs prophets and how little it, THE CHURCH, is willing and able to embrace them.

I reviewed the criteria of a prophet according to Ravenhill (WHO WAS THE REAL DEAL).

I can after reading this whole thing say, I am a prophet, maybe a bad one, maybe a good one, but I am an ordained by God as a called prophet of His. There are excellent and not so great Teachers, there are powerful and passive Apostles, There are successful and mediocre Evangilists, There are good and lousy Pastors. I'm guessing there may be some gradation in the quality of God's Prophets. I don't know where I am in that spectrum. I'm somewhere. I want to get better. Only in Prophets does the body of Christ expect immediate maturity and perfection. Sorry, we are doing what God called us to do for better or worse. We will make dumb mistakes like the other of the 5 fold. But we know our call and it anchors us in the storm.

I know my call and I am well anchored no matter what comes. You can't talk me out of it, you can't discourage me, you can't stop me unless you kill me and then I'll come back to haunt you, at least my words will.

Being called of God is a great and terrible place but rejecting and disobeying the call is worse.

It is a mantle I wear without shame or fear and I endure the rejection and ridicule like every other prophet has before and since. The devil and organized religion always sought to kill the prophets in days of Old. They still do.

I'm not looking for pity or understanding. It just helps me to understand why the Body of Christ is so sick. It's fundamental, the Prophetic and it's partner fundamental the Apostolic has been rejected. That's why it is toppling.

Oh, God isn't done. His body will be restored. It won't look like it does now. Churches who try to do business as usual are like men taking that last walk before execution, dead churches walking.

That's why God sends prophets. Not just to warn but to rebirth ministry they way God demands.

I was told something long ago. I believe it was a prophetic utterance although the man who said it and I don't think he knew it at the time. I was told, "Just say what God says".

I do. When I do I will let you know. Otherwise all my rantings are just me.

2 comments:

Ron McK said...

Gene
Do you think that a prophet should be ranting when he is not speaking for God? I have sometimes wondered if it is not better to remain silent, if God is silent. Do people find it hard to distinguish between the rant and the prophetic.

Would Jeremiah have blogged in his spare time? I guess he would have been a plogger (papyrus log).
Ron

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, 'silence is golden'. What God has not told us in His completed revelation (Rev. 22:18-19), we should be silent about. What He has told us in His revelation, we should tell ourselves and others.