Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints - Psalm 116:15

I got notice a good friend and a mentor spiritually to me passed away last night in Fargo.  Papa Joe Frankhauser.  It's strange because just yesterday his name came up in conversation.  I spoke to someone about the need for older men to be spiritual examples to younger men and I referred to Papa Joe and his influence in my life.
 
He was a welcoming presence in my younger days.  When I first came to Jesus I took his New Believers class at First Assembly in Fargo.  He was so tender.  He was so sure of Jesus.  He was so encouraging yet without compromise.  There was no Wink Wink in his love of God. 
 
I wanted to be like him.  He would end some of our class times by singing an old hymn:
Thank you, Lord, for saving my soul,
Thank you, Lord, for making me whole;
Thank you, Lord, for giving to me
Thy great salvation so rich and free.
 
Without affectation he would tear up singing it.  It was really real for him.  I am friends with his two sons. Curt and Jeff.  We hunted together and Sometimes Papa Joe would come with.  The life they lead is because of the legacy of their dad.  They are mighty men of God who walk today in well ordered footsteps.
 
He was one of those people every church needs.  A man of God young men full of conflicts could look to not for advice but for example.  For a way forward to Glory.  At Lord of Life there are a few such men.  Arnie, John and Harold.  Men who I look to and say, I want to live like they live.  Some day Lord willing maybe I will even be that man for others.
 
He told me once that he wanted to so live in the presence of Jesus here that when he stepped from time into eternity he would do it without even noticing the difference.  Last night in his sleep he did exactly that. 
 
My friend Pastor Dan who went on ahead a few years ago was there to welcome him at the Gates of Heaven.  Many others as well.  We who are left behind miss them.  But under no circumstance would they come back.  They can't come to us, we will go to them.  For me sooner is better but I'll stay here as long as I am useful.  Funny, I said that to Harold last Sunday.  He said he felt the same way. 
 
About the verse that is the title of this post. 

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints - Psalm 116:15

 
In the Song of Solomon there is a passage regarding doves eyes. 

"Behold, you are fair, My love! behold, you are fair! You have dove's eyes." Song of Solomon 1:15

From this study an explanation of this verse

When a dove fixes its gaze upon its mate, it is not distracted by any activities around it.  Therefore, it is often referred to as being a "love bird."

Our having this "dove's eye" indicates that we are becoming increasingly aware of the Lord's person and presence, and that we possess a spiritual awareness that will lift us above the pulls of the earthly.  This "single eye" will enable us to become sensitive to the Lord's presence, and obedient to His desire and purpose.

The Lord's favor rests upon those who have cultivated a "single eye" toward Him.  These can be easily led by Him, for they are close enough to see which way His eye is looking. 

The reason the death of a saint who has single vision toward Jesus and in turn Jesus has Single Vision toward him or her when one with such single vision steps from time into eternity makes it precious indeed.  It's like something longed for deeply and finally realized.  Something so longed for it's precious.

My Brother and a Spiritual Father Papa Joe had Single Vision.  I want that.

Lord help me to maintain my gaze on YOUR beauty along and no other.  I won't say rest in peace, I won't say I'll miss you although I will, I will say, SEE YOU SOON!

No comments: