Tuesday, January 01, 2008

STOP USING THESE WORDS AND PHRASES ALREADY

Cliché-o-rama »

Throw These Under the Bus

Lake Superior State University’s 2008 List of Words Banished from the Queen’s English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness:

• perfect storm
• Webinar
• waterboarding
• organic
• wordsmith/wordsmithing
• author/authored
• post 9/11
• surge
• give back
• `blank’ is the new `blank’
• Black Friday
• back in the day
• random
• sweet
• decimate
• emotional
• pop
• It is what it is
• under the bus



I will add one of my own, "At the end of the day". I have been hearing that for 20+ years. I'm getting really tired of it.


Do you have any others??


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one! We'll see!

Steve Scott said...

"transparent", "Reformed"

Anonymous said...

Yeah Gene, at the end of the day should top the list

Kool-Aid drinkers
Dems hate the troops/America
Britney Spears
Paris Hilton

Anonymous said...

One phrase people need to stop using: The one which the Tribune recently printed."..OMG...Oh, my God!", also shrieked out by atheists! I agree with the Baptist preacher, as reported in the Trib.:".I never heard this growing up"... and now when I do, I get the urge to say, "and who is your God?" When in the Navy in WWII, I never heard it, only other swearing expressions of God and Christ, and denunciations which are owned by God only and to be uttered only by Him. Another overused one, "sure as hell",and "what the hell......"
, and "well, I'll be d___________!"
As sure as there is a hell and a heaven, people will keep mouthing them off.

goprairie said...

have a nice day.