Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Winter Scenes out my front door

Winter time in Illinois can be cold and dark. Today it was just cold. Below zero tonite. In IL that's a big deal.

Snow is deep and beautiful.

This first is my back yard with evergreens I planted 9 years ago that were 6' tall. Look at them now.



This is my neighbor's house across the street. He's 75 and goes dancing twice a week. A widower. Lives alone.



This is the entrance to Gene's backyard nursery site. I have about 2000 plants sitting back there.


It's going to get over 50 on Sunday and Monday. We already bought the brats. The snow from the old barbie will about be melted then.


Here's what it looks like when there is no wind, Snow piles straight up. We got almost 10" of global warming.



Here's our house with a Serbian spruce planted in the front yard.


Here's our friend's John and Ann's house. John used to trade stocks but now they sell statue of St. Joseph as religious icons. Great business Ann got from her late dad. Stay at home and sell religious items. Great idea.


Look at how much snow is on top of the junipers over my well. It' heavy old stuff. I'm glad I didn't have to shovel out the drive. I have a snowblower. Her name is Peggy.



But she didn't clean off my pickky. It's OK, I'm not going out in any nurseries or making any deliveries any time in the next couple months.


This is a bird house out our back window in our bedroom where we can watch the birds nest. Too much snow to nest right now.


I like winter, but spring is less than 75 days away. The snow is great to cover the roses and container plants in the back yard.

I'm looking forward to sitting outside in the sun on Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you

Anonymous said...

I hope your guy Mike does well today, Gene.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

how do you or did you convince your wife to do the snow?

Anonymous said...

I like your pictures. a big snow job on our landscapte makes for beautiful photos. yours is no snow job. It' for real.