Monday, February 04, 2008

Was it God's will for the Giants to Win the Superbowl?

God's will,


That is the hairiest of all theologies but the best and most reassuring when we grasp it.


There is the revealed will of God. Things we know full well are always Gods will. In the Bible they are defined over and over again as: It is the will of God that---------------


Then there is the unfulfilled will of God thwarted by sin and the fallen nature of man. Death is the prime one of those. We were never supposed to die.


Don't want to go too far afield in that direction right here. But, sufficient to say, God has a will for us that we can in rebellion live outside of and therefore live without the Will of God being manifested in our lives or we can by faith live in the will of God. Now it gets interesting. I know all about perfect and permissive wills. But there is a revealed will that if we follow will allow for the other to take place.


Keith Green, not a theologian but a good man with wisdom said, "You keep doing your best and He'll take care of the rest".


I had a church I started over a decade ago fail. I know I heard from God to start that Church. I did my best. It still failed. So, the question is, was it God's will for that Church to fail? Or not? If I did in fact hear from God to do this and it didn't work out, how much of that is to my blame or credit. If it had become a super church with many members how much of that would have been to my credit.


If it had become a super church and I stood up one Sunday and said, "Look around you, I did this, This whole thing is because I worked hard and succeeded". If you were in my congregation at that time you should have picked up stones.


How is it any more spiritual to say, "I blew it, if I had just worked harder, hadn't been such a hard ass, had loved people more I would have succeeded"?


With the Patriots and the Giants, skill and ability had much to do with it. Even with the will of God I would have failed as the quarterback of the Giants. But there is the anointing factor that makes up the narrow difference. The last minute happened as it did. How much of that is Eli Manning and how much is God? He did his best, but sometimes things happen.


The problem is some people live in passivity saying "If God wants me to have this or that I'll have it". Those folks live in poverty. God's will is never manifested in a stationary vehicle. He expects our cooperation.


Better to live saying, "I'll do my best to serve God and Man and I'll do my best believing God has the best for me and perhaps he will allow superb victories in my life". And he does.


To do otherwise is to lapse into despair. Oh, I have failures. I get discouraged. But Like Keith Green said. I keep doing my best and let God take care of the rest.


It's an interesting piece of theology. To be an overcomer means we must have a proper mindset: God is for me and not against me Romans 8:31, I can do all things thru the anointed one and do them in his anointing, not mine. Philippians 4:13


Of course not everything works as we hope. Sometimes the wicked prosper. Psalm 73 But, God is always good and always had good intentions towards those that are His. I want to be on that side.


I have prayed and instructed God on how is supposed to bless me. He's always amused. Laughs out loud. He has a better plan and if I keep walking it out he will show it to me. It's never as I thought it would be.


IF I just take a hard shot at doing the best I know how according to the will of God I know about, He'll take care of the rest.


It's a pretty safe place. That is an example of how using just the Core Document clears so much up. Whole books have been written about finding the will of God in our lives. It's clear and there in black and white. So, as I said, I just say what God says and if I find a "Theologian" that wants to disagree with God, I smile, point him or her back to the Document and say, "read the text".


Life is easy that way. It also frustrates the heck out of people who want to argue Theology. Even well educated people.

Paul the apostle says this about theologians:

For it is written, I will baffle and render useless and destroy the learning of the learned and the philosophy of the philosophers and the cleverness of the clever and the discernment of the discerning; I will frustrate and nullify [them] and bring [them] to nothing. Where is the wise man (the philosopher)? Where is the scribe( the scholar)? Where is the investigator (the logician, the debater) of this present time and age? Has not God shown up the nonsense and the folly of this world's wisdom? ~ 1 Corinthians 1:19-20


and in 1 Corinthians 2: 13-14 Paul says this (amplified)


13And we are setting these truths forth in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the [Holy] Spirit, combining and interpreting spiritual truths with spiritual language [to those who possess the Holy Spirit].

    14But the natural, nonspiritual man (even a very intelligent learned man) does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them [of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them] because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated.


So understanding the wisdom and will of God is really hard to do from reason. Without FAITH it is impossible. http://bible.cc/hebrews/11-6.htm


I know that's more about penguins than anyone wanted to know, but it is the one thing I do know a bit about and can run on and on and on and on....


I just did.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some thought it was God's will that the Cowboys get in the Super bowl and win; some thought it was God's will that the Packers get there and stomp the Patriots. We pray in the Lord's Paryer, "Thy will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven:. I don't think the good angels have an eternal-winning football game against the evil angels and their coach, Mr. Diabolos. A football game in heaven is not God's will in heaven,.....I don't think. . Luther said , "God's good and gracious will is done among us when God breaks and hinders every evil counsel and will which would not let us hallow God's name nor let His kingdom come, such as the will of the devil, the world, and our flesh; but strengthens and preserves us teadfat in His Wortd and faith unto our end."

James wrote something about this in James 4:13-15...."you don't even know what your life tomorrow will be! You are like a thin fog, which appears for a moment and then disappears. what you should say is this,'If the Lord IS WILLING, we will live and do this or that'. But now you are proud, and you boast; all such boasting is wrong." (TEV).
Too much 'boasting' on the part of SOME winners. The word tells us to "give thanks in all circumstances", even when losing, and give all credit and thanks to God for gifts, abilities and talents, wins and losses. abilities