Thursday, September 25, 2008

Drunks on a Train

Last evening Peggy and I went downtown Chicago to the Theater. Went to dinner first at 312, a restaurant that is so classic old school Chicago that if you turned your head you might think you saw Frank Sinatra walk in the door.

Then we went to see a play, Amadeus. About Mozart. It's part of a series we bought.

Now I know why I like Shakespeare. He could actually write. It was pitiful.

I looked at all the people on the street. It seemed to me that if we had a major economic collapse these people sitting in outdoor cafes, walking, going to the theater or opera, life will change. I can't financially do all they do, but I like the idea that I could. It's about opportunity and hope, not about despair and defeat.

I am convinced that we will weather this, but it will be painful.

Coming home we make the 10:40 train. Arrives Geneva at 11:55. There were two businessmen. They were drunk. VERY VERY drunk. The conductor sold them tickets. They were not loud or obnoxious, just falling down drunk. And, they had briefcases and Iphones. I would guess them middle 40s to 50s.

I in my past life have been there. I had compassion. It was interesting how people dealt with the presence of these two drunks on the train. Some laughed at them. Some ignored them. Some demeaned them. And one woman took pictures of them passed out or asleep with her cell phone and had a hoot.

I wondered if they had a clue what stops we were at and if they would get off at the right one. If in fact they might end up at the end of the line in Elburn alone and drunk with no way home.

I have been there.

So, I inquired of the conductor to where he had sold them a ticket. Geneva. Our stop.

Miraculously when the stop came and the train screeched to a halt the two men found their way off the train. I hope they didn't try to drive home, although by that point it was cool outside and they had an hour and a half to sober up a bit.

I wasn't going to leave them on the train. As I would have hoped no one would have done to me.

This was not a what would Jesus do Moment for me. This was a human moment with two drunk humans being stupid.

Like me.

I'm not very proud of my fellow travelers on the train's reaction to these men. Our culture is not perfect or even very good sometimes.

No comments: