Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An Unintended Hilarity

Monday night Peggy and I went to the opera. Lulu by Alban Berg. I anticipated seeing it. It was what I expected. Harsh, brutal and challenging musically. Right up my alley.

Read all about it in the link above. During Act 3, Scene One there is an exchange that a year ago wouldn't have resulted in uproarious laughter. It did Monday Night.

In the conversation one of the party guests is asking Dr Schone about getting some additional shares of the Jungfrau Rail Road Stock. Lulu owns 40,000 shares. This has been a good stock. Dr Alwa Schone manages many of these peoples money. Is an investment banker. During the exchange he says,

"I'm a banker, I know what I'm doing, you can rely on me to make good decisions in your behalf, your investments are safe with me. My integrity is my bond."


That's what appeared on the supertitle screen above. I have not reviewed the German libretto to see if that is an accurate translation. None the less, in the middle of impending tragedy and blackmail this line appeared and the whole house burst into laughter.

That shouldn't be funny. But looking at the current destruction on Wall Street and with Banks who's only fault is that they don't use masks or a gun when they rob you, it was.

No comments: