Sunday, October 12, 2014

I miss good cider

I had a glass of Apple Cider this morning. It was OK, but what ever happened that tart shrink-your-cheeks cider we used to drink? Today's cider is too sweet. I know that the hard ciders being made that are very popular today are made from heirloom trees with very tart fruit. Why can't non hard cider have that same zip? When I was a kid at about this time of year we could buy cider that made you sit up and take notice.

I've been missing the fresh cider I used to get at Pine Tree Apple Orchards back in Minnesota. All of the fresh ciders I've tasted here in Illinois have been too sweet for my taste. Maybe it's the climate or maybe it's local preference. But I long for the tart, zingy apple cider of my youth. Fresh, unfiltered, unpasteurised, and zippy. Any recommendations? If I don't crinkle my brow it's not tart enough.

No comments: