Monday, May 07, 2007

Right Where I Ought to BE

Most of my life I have worked for myself, built business's, hired people, succeeded, failed, succeeded, failed and then............it's been a wild and wonderful ride.

I know I am not normal. I have only taken a paycheck 3 times in my life. They were dark times. Knowing my financial future depended on the goodness of others and that I had little capacity to influence them was torment. I called it "Being on the Umbilical Cord".

I'm not resentful. I appreciated the chance to regroup. But ultimately I must move on, must become the one pushing and not being pushed. EGO? Yep. I don't think you CAN make it in life without the belief that you are right even to the exclusion of others opinions or restraints.

The AARP magazine (which I have to borrow - Not) had a quiz in the last issue. The question it tried to answer is, Are You Really Cut Out to be in Business for Yourself? I took it. You can too. The Link is below.

I had to answer "That's ME" to all but number 8. I think they got that one wrong. I'll call and let them know.

Here's the test. It's a PDF file so wait and load it.

It reaffirmed the fact that I am doing what I should be doing and that sometimes because of who I am and how I'm hardwired I don't always play well with others. But, if you want something to get done..........you will need someone like me.

Committees were designed to be a foreshadowing of Hell. They succeed. If you put me on one, my mission and purpose will be to destroy it. You were warned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When are you going to stop pretending that your 'specialness' gives you a license to walk all over people? No, one does not need a giant 'ego' to be successful. There are billions of successful people in the world who are modest and kind and tolerant of others ideas. The most successful people seek out others ideas and know they are not as smart alone as they are working with other people. Einstien put his equations on the blackboard and invited colleagues in to discuss them, then worked the next day based on their input and the insight he gained from it. Your insistance that your brilliance and effectiveness makes it ok for you to refuse to get along with people is a very adolescent attitude. You are not that brilliant. You are not that effective. You are not as special as you think. But i doubt you will ever learn that.