Friday, February 29, 2008

Smart Finlanders - Dumb Americans

I have a Friend. He's smart. Bill.

He's not from Finland, he's from Northern Minnesota. But he is smart.

The Wall Street Journal today has an article that asks the question "Why are Finlander Kids so Smart". They are consistently the smartest kids on the planet. American kids don't even make the top ten. If world kids graded on a curve we Americans are barely c students. Read that Obama voters. The article is really interesting.

Here are my observations:
  • Homogeneity. Diversity is our enemy in American Education.
  • No Pre School or Kindergarten. Kids shouldn't start school till 7 (for girls) and 10 for boys.
  • Libraries are in shopping malls.
  • Movies are not dubbed but have subtitles. Learn to read watching 90210.
  • All teachers to even start teaching must have a Masters Degree.
  • Teaching is a merit position, no unions.
  • No standardized testing. No School Sports. No Proms. Little homework. Informal teaching environment ie: kids fall asleep in class and address each other by first names (teacher included).
  • Teachers build their own teaching plans.
  • Little technology other than computers (the Internet is unfiltered). No power point, Chalkboards not whiteboards.
  • Most tests are essay not multiple choice (means the teacher has to do actual work)

Read the whole article. We could take a lesson in America. But we won't. Liberals couldn't be elected if people were smart. (sorry I can't help myself).

One other thing, when working in Japan I discovered Japanese literature that claimed a common language link of Japanese and Finnish. Laplanders from northern Finland may have migrated across the frozen north to Japan eons ago. They look alike. The language has many similar words. Is it true? I don't know but it's worth thinking about the similarities. Maybe they just have better genes.

2 comments:

Gene said...

My friend Bill, the Finlander sent me this in response to this post:
[quote]Did you happen to see 60 minutes a couple of weeks ago when they were investigating the report that the happiest people on earth were the Danes? Turns out, the secret to their happiness is low expectations --- they're so certain that nothing is ever going to work out well that an ordinary day where no great tragedy occurs is a blessing.

Also .. one other more troubling thing about Finland ... I seem to remember a report that Finland had the highest suicide rate in Europe. A friend of mine who was raised in Ireland and then lived in the Netherlands for 10 years laughed when he found out I was Finnish. I think he said something like "Really, so you're one of those mopey frumps".

Reminds me of a joke:
Centuries ago: A Finn, a German, and a Frenchman are in Africa for the first time. Deep in the jungle, they come into a clearing and for the first time ever, they see an elephant. They all stare for a moment. Then, the German says, "What an amazing beast. I wonder how much money I could make if I could put him on display back in Berlin.". The Frenchman says, "What an amazing beast. I wonder what kind of delicious meals could be made out of it." The Finn says, "What an amazing beast. I wonder what it thinks about me."

[/quote]

Edited just slightly

Anonymous said...

In Finland, it is illegal to discrimminate against someone based on sexual orientation. In Finland, same sex couple can legally marry.