Friday, April 25, 2008

Anti Second Hand Smoker Rethinks

Yesterday I was in a Nursery way north in WI.  Nothing exceptional except, there were smokers everywhere. They don't have smoking ban in all buildings as we do in IL.
 
I have been against it.  Vocally.  Anti smoking Nazis.  I call  everyone who doesn't see things my way Nazis.  It makes for good dialogue.
 
But yesterday with this cold and a deep hacking cough I could barely keep my cookies down in hacking away with smokers in the Building.
 
This has never bothered me before. 
 
I might be changing my mind.  If this is what it's like for a person with asthma it's a pretty difficult situation.
 
There, despite my claims at knowing almost everything, I can change my mind.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you.

Anonymous said...

(that was from me, BTW)

goprairie said...

well, congrats there, on the demonstrable rethnk. gives me a shred of hope on other issues, but only a shred.
as an allergy sufferer, second hand smoke has long been troublesome to me, at times a lot, at times only a little.
but when i had my first smoke at 40 and L O V E D it and could have become addicted from that point forward, i have understood it differently. and the anti-smoking thing is right scientifically and medically, but it is wrong compassionately. Offices put up the ban with out offering a nice place to get a fix. The poor smokers huddle my the dumpster by a back door where you wouldn't tie a dog up for 10 minutes. and we put smokers on planes and make them sit on the runway 2 hours. the doctor's office where they should understand addiciton and pain makes you wait a hour for your appointment and tells you if you leave you lose your turn. the airline should have mini-patches to hand out and businesses should put up a pergola and plant a wind break around it and provide some benches and some ashcans and maybe even some flowers and the clinic should have a smoking pergola and beepers to call you back. compassion. that is what is lacking toward the smoker. clean air in public places is good, but compassion to the addicted is nice too.