Saturday, April 26, 2008

How to NOT be an enabler

I was once rebuked by a Prophet for being Soft Headed when it came to money.

To this day, I don't find myself very prone to being involved in soup kitchens or homeless shelters unless they are run with huge discernment.

Most aren't.

I almost NEVER EVER give money to beggars on the street. Oh, I have, and later realized I had been had. It's not about my money. They can have it all. It's about sanctioning and enabling negative behavior in others. It's equivalent to taking crack cocaine to the hood and out of pity on the poor folks who can't afford it, giving it away to all who say they need some for free. It's exactly the same.

This story will break your heart. You must watch the whole thing. It's people like Megan who ruin it for the truly needy.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus says, "give to him who asks you, and turn not away the one who would borrow from you". But it also says in the Word, "the WICKED borroweth and payeth NOT again"....H.