Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Jesus Camp and the Lord's Boot Camp

You remember the Jesus Camp Documentary that caused all the stir. How terrible to send kids off to camp to become passionate followers of Jesus. What a travesty.
I laughed it off as just so much liberal press baloney. I'm not convinced. We don't have passionate kids who become passionate adults because they are untaught and untrained as kids. My Friend Barry Kolb asks a good question about this in his blog. Why aren't believers sharing the Gospel aggressively with others. A quote from the article which I recommend you read: believers are sitting passively in church and never opening their mouth to share the amazing grace of Jesus.

I Don't wonder why. Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old....

So, we don't. We don't want to seem weird like those Jesus Camp folks. We don't want to INDOCTRINATE our kids. We want the world to indoctrinate them with hip hop, violence, crime, sex, evil and demonism from television and Public Schools.

23 years ago our Son K went to Israel. He went with TEEN MISSIONS INTERNATIONAL. It's a group out of Florida. He was gone for a couple months. He was 13 at the time. He has been on other Missions trips. But this one I'm confident gave him the courage in part to become the man he has become. Bold and unwavering. Good on him.

On Saturday Night they had a special broadcast of 48 Hours on CBS. The subject was God's boot camp. You can watch the whole thing here. If you click on the videos link the whole feature comes up.

It's pretty fair. Not a hatchet job. The problem is the commentary that went on after. Atheists hate the fact that we might train young people. Waaaa.

Teen Missions did good for Kevin. Sure, there are extremes, there were for me at Boy Scout Camp too.

I'm glad he had a chance to do this. I have always wondered about Christians who struggle with the idea of "Indoctrinating" children with the truth of the Gospel. Why they didn't come out in force and support Becky was beyond me. We shouldn't send our kids off to be brainwashed?

AS OPPOSED TO WHAT? Insipid Sunday Schools in Most Churches?

If Barry Kolb's article is right, and I believe it is, shouldn't we be indoctrinating them. This is more than fun and games. This must be a passionate inculcation of all the Gospel that will drive them to share. I worry that what we do in Sunday School with our kids, I worry about what we are doing with our YOUTH. I don't think we are doing the job the world is doing on them.

So, they lack the courage to get out of the pew and on to the street.

We are failing our children because of our timidity and political correctness.

Get with it Church!

No comments: