Friday, June 13, 2008

IF everyone likes you it's bad news or nobody ever kicks a dead dog

My friend Bob asked me about Luke 6:26. 
 
How terrible it will be for you when everyone says nice things about you, because that's the way their ancestors used to treat the false prophets!" NIV
 
I must be a true prophet of God because this is not my experience.  I'm despised by many.
 
In a broader sense, if everyone says good things about a person and that person elicits no controversy they probably are inert in society.
 
I have often said that you lean a lot about a person by whom they are offended and who they offend.
 
I have for instance a hard time with Uber Liberals.  Bob is one but it's not personal with him.  It's the idea that they spend money and effort on meaningless things and have no capacity to do good.  Lots of energy on phony global warming caused by humans, carbon footprints, CO2 emissions, and Gay Marriage.
 
Meanwhile the world is going to hell in a hand basket.
 
I am not upset that George Bush gets lambasted.  I think they are unfair but not unexpected.  His role is not to be liked but to be right.  In that he has succeeded.
 
The universal adulation of Barak Obama worries me.  It says much about an undiscerning generation who speaks well of false prophets.
 
So, I guess getting beat up is normal and reinforces the prophetic in it's authenticity.
 
I have to be a little careful here.  I love a prophet that only says good things to me.  Sometimes that's not possible.  Sometimes I need to hear the truth about my situation.  Not everything is going to turn out perfect everytime except in a Romans 8:28 way.  Things can be redeemed but often they don't turn out the way I wish they would.  I love the people that tell me they will but I worry about it.
 
Look at what the Prophet David Wilkerson wrote.  Not that cheery.   Have a nice day if you survive is what it says.  It's hard being a prophet everyone loves.  It means you're probably not one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

build a bridge-get over it

Anonymous said...

you really can't have it both ways. you said clinton should be our candidate because people had so much secret bad stuff on obama. well, look around, please. he recently put up a website to debunk all the bad (untrue) stuff going around about him. and so now in THIS post, you want to claim he has uncritical adulation? huh? you are totally wrong on BOTH counts, by the way. he does NOT have uncritical adulation as people from the liberal camp have recently said to him, hey, your resume is weak and you are skating on some groovy speeches so you better come up with some content, so he has begun to release platform type statements and policy type statements and ideas for things statements. haven't you NOTICED the shift from mere rallies for change to actuall content? and you were wrong about the negatve neccesarily being a reason to stick with clinton, as she would have generated just as much negative and it seems like obama is handling the negative just fine so far. nothing has come up yet that can stick it seems, and so there must be not all that much out there. people will try to make connections and so on, but a person is NOT responsible for the behavior of their supporters and it is not a candidates job to research the donor before take donations, so much will be made of such things and they will be debunked one by one, both before, during, and after obama's election to president.