Thursday, June 12, 2008

Meeting Venus

That was the title of a little known movie about the Wagner Opera Tannhauser. Good stuff but the idea that you meet people you hope to meet and it comes up short is not an unusual one.

The Blogosphere is a bit like that.

I have had the opportunity to meet and have a beverage with a few people that are blog friends.

The distance between expectation and perceived reality is huge.

One man dreaded meeting with me, we had been at odds on several issues and got along famously when we met in person.

Another when we met we had little to say to each other.

I am always cautious. I have spoken on the phone with people with whom I correspond. Frankly I'm better with a keyboard sometimes than I am in person.

Oh, I can get up and speak but I need to think about what I'm about to say a little.

So, I hope someday to meet many of the people in the Blogosphere I have not yet met. Some I wish I hadn't. One man who will go nameless I had an image of who he was and he turned out to be much much less.

I still respect him but I find that many times mystery is better than reality.

Jesus is the only one who stuns us when we come face to face with him. Everyone else has the potential to disappoint.

No comments: