Monday, June 09, 2008

Make it So won't Necessarily

You remember Captain Pickard's famous line.  Someone would come up with a problem, and then a solution, Pickard would say, "Make it so" and they did.  That works really well on Star Trek. 
 
He must have been working with a different class of people than I do sometimes.  
 
In my world, saying make it so is followed by:
  • What do you want me to do first boss
  • How am I supposed to do this
  • I don't have enough (Fill in your own blank beginning with time, money, a tractor, help, dirt, whatever will keep them from working)
  • I supposed to go on break now
  • It's lunch time
  • Who's going to help me
  • I have to take a phone call (they are all broke but all have a cell phone)
  • You're killing me boss
 
And if I walk away for 10 minutes I find them all keeping the topside of some chair or other sitting utensil warm with their rear ends.  On the one fellow on the crew who is a Mexican who assures me after a hard days work, "Gene, I really like to work, I do".  He's a good man, but sometimes he figures out ways to diddle away time that torments me.  I know I push hard, that's my nature.  But.......  The paychecks all clear the bank I think.
 
It's always been such, but I do envy the Captain.  I would love to say "Make it so" and they would.

No comments: