Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Froze of July

Last night we went to watch small town fireworks up close and personal.  I like to have someone else blow stuff up.  I get no thrill out of doing so myself.
 
We used to do this in North Dakota.  Drive to a little town south of where we lived that had a pretty good display, Frederick SD. 
 
This was like that.
 
What else was like that was cold.  I mean midsummer's is past.  We are supposed to be global warming.  Last night it got into the 40s in IL where we live.  We sat on our bag chairs under a blanket with jackets on and froze.
 
When we have gone to Pheasant Lake and blew fireworks from time to time in Dakota it got cold.  Jackets were needed.  The mosquitoes went into hibernation.  So all was ok except we froze. 
 
I just read a prediction that winter is going to come very early this year.  I mean big snow October. 
Maybe that global cooling thing is real.  What if the weather in the world goes very very cold.  HMMM.
 
So, in a soft way we are living in Dakota weather without living in Dakota. 
 
It was nice enough in Burlington.  The park was packed.  It was pleasant.  Very Norman Rockwellian. 
 
It's not too late to say thank you to the men and women who fought and are fighting for our freedom.  I speak German by choice and English by nationality because it is the language of commerce in the world.  If the men and women who fought and fight didn't shed their own and others blood the language of commerce might be something else, German and Japanese. 
 
Oh Beautiful for Spacious Skies.  I hadn't been in the country to see them for a while.  It was magnificent.
 
I'm going out to pull some weeds. 

No comments: