Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I must be stupid or something - or maybe not

I read a number of "Christian" blogs. Not all of them are about Christian things all the time. But most are most of the time. Kind of like this blog. About lots of things but with Jesus in the center of it all.

I appreciate good practical Christianity lived out in blogdom. Then there are a few who are so pedantic that they are nearly unreadable. How can we make the gospel lived out so complicated and potentially contentious as to make it incomprehensible except to a few?

I can follow the arguments. I may not have read all the books they did but I get it. I know how to speak christianeze. It's just not that complicated. The more I get to know HIM the less complicated it is. Oh, it's unexplainable all right. There are no words to speak about the Holy. Except if you speak in tongues. And then it will only be understood in the spirit. But it's not complicated.

I think a Christian for whom everything must be clearly and rationally understood he or she may never really know God. There are some things that must be accepted as mystery. I'm somewhat convinced that over reasoning theologians are operating from pride and obfuscation not to be understood. We know more than you do. We have a degree in Science (remember Dr. Science on the Radio?).

That's why my friend Martin Luther said, "Reason is the enemy of Faith".
Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has: it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but--more frequently than not --struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.

But since the devil's bride, Reason, that pretty whore, comes in and thinks she's wise, and what she says, what she thinks, is from the Holy Spirit, who can help us, then? Not judges, not doctors, no king or emperor, because reason is the Devil's greatest whore.
He is right. If we over think and over analyze we might never come to true faith.
It's just not that complicated. It's a relationship, not religion. We have to get over over analyzing.

No comments: