Tuesday, August 26, 2008

God Uses People I don't Agree With

One of the truths I have had to come to is that God reserves the right to use people I don't like, disagree with and find difficult to swallow. Sometimes watching TV there will come on one of the 9 religious channels a satellite dish has a guy or a woman who just irritates the heck out of me. I won't name names but there are several.

Yet God uses them in spite of my opinion.

Of course, there are several people in the Five Fold Ministry who are wonderful teachers, prophets, pastors, evangelists and apostles. I look forward to seeing them when they are on.

  • I like Apostle Ron Carpenter Jr.
  • I like Prophet Kim Clement
  • I like Pastor Che Ahn
  • I like Evangelist Reinhard Bohnkee
  • I Like Teacher Mike Bickle

Each of them fills a role in the whole body of Christ and I am glad God uses them in their respective role. I suspect all of them have flaws. I personally know two of these men and will tell you that at home they are very flawed humans. It's just that God has chosen to use them. The recent situation in Lakeland demonstrates that flaws in the Body of Christ are everywhere. This analysis of the situation and the warning around it is pretty good. In it Loren Sanford says:

We’re living in a time when God is so serious about His character imprinted into us for the honor of His name, that while He often uses seriously flawed people to accomplish His purposes, there is nothing hidden in any leader’s heart or life that will not be exposed. Luke 12:2-3, “But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known. Accordingly, whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in the inner rooms will be proclaimed upon the housetops.”

Yes, God pours out His grace in forgiveness, but we must never forget that God’s holiness must be honored and that He does act for the sake of His own name. As God entrusts us with more power and more glory, accountability for character issues rises. As we cry MORE LORD, God answers by asking more of us because we’ve been given more. Luke 12:48 says, “From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.”

God may not make perfection a requirement for wielding the gift of His mercy and His power, but with the blessing of His mercy and power comes responsibility and accountability to grow in looking like Jesus, being like Jesus, acting and living like a people set apart, different from the world. We MUST grow in His ways.

It is sobering and a warning to anyone who is used by God to be aware of the potential to fall. We must be careful in many ways. One of which is to not tell God who He can or Cannot use.

I will surf past that one woman or man on TV who just gets my goat and I don't get what that's all about. On the other hand, I have no idea who he or she is reaching and touching for good that I will never see. That he or she is filling a hole and a role that is essential. We are not all an ear, nor an eye or a foot. Each of us are a part. To deny that we have an essential role to fill is missing God's best for ourselves or for his Church.

That's true of all of us. God still reserves the right to use people I may not like or approve of. He's God. I'm not. Neither are you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused as to the fact that you wont name the names of those that you don't like, yet you have no problem naming those that you like.