Friday, February 27, 2009

Good versus Bad Forgetting

I was talking with Peggy about regrets, I've had a few, but then again.....

Wait that's a Sinatra Song. I try hard to forget the dumb things I have done. Not to forget them as if they never happened, but to put them in the right places in my mind.

Memories can be torment.

This morning I was reading Nancy Minor's fine new blog and she wrote a great post on forgetting and not forgetting. I recommend you read the whole thing. In it she says in part:

There is a good kind of forgetting, and a bad kind. The Lord speaks to us about both kinds.

Here is the bad kind:

In Psa. 103:2 (DRB) Bless the Lord, O my soul, and never forget all he hath done for thee.
King James says ..."forget not all his benefits."

Mat 13:19 (BBE) When the word of the kingdom comes to anyone, and the sense of it is not clear to him, then the Evil One comes, and quickly takes away that which was put in his heart. He is the seed dropped by the wayside. (In other words he causes us to FORGET!)

Jas 1:25 (Amp) But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience).

Good forgetting:

Philippians 3:13(GNB) Of course, my friends, I really do not think that I have already won it; the one thing I do, however, is to forget what is behind me and do my best to reach what is ahead.

Job 11:16 (GW) Then you will forget your misery and remember it like water that has flowed downstream.
Then she gives prophetic words of encouragement. Read the whole thing. I did and I'm glad.

No comments: