Sunday, February 22, 2009

OK, this is one of the COOLEST ideas ever

I have been aware of the technology that via the Internet allowed people to play music together at a distance. That in fact duets, quartets, even whole orchestra's can be connected and play one song as if they were in the same room. There is even a Jam Session website where if you have a computer and an instrument you can play with others live in real time.

This video appears to be that. According to my friend Chuck it is not exactly as I envisioned. Yet, it could be. Or should be. Read the comments. Here's a little info on the technology.

I think it is one of the most interesting applications of a technology. What impresses me most is how they all seem to give each other room as they play. It's a study in proper ensemble protocol.

Watch this, Stand by Me played by the world.

3 comments:

Chuckles said...

Apparently this is just a collection of snippets, albeit a very nice collection. Here is more of the story. I would think doing this "real time" would be difficult due to network delay but it's been a long time since I did any networking so who knows.

Gene said...

Actually, nope chuck.

It really works. I just posted a link talking about this. Now about this video, I don't know. But, I know there are musicians who practice with each other at a distance.

I did read your link, apparently I was wrong about this particular video. But, it is practical to do this now.

I'd like to. I wish he had. The way it all comes together is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Yup, Chuck. The delays even in the best software are such that most musicians cannot actually use it yet. They hear what they and the others played a fraction of a second ago and have to adjust to that and just trust and play. The happy cheerful video you promote was NOT done that way and at this point in time COULD not be. But truth is NOT that important to you people who try to promote they myth, is it?
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.