Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Three Century Woman

The oldest Woman in Chicago just passed away. She was 115 years old. She was born in 1894.

That means she lived in three different centuries. Three different eras. In a few years there will be no one left who lived in three centuries. My grandparents were all born in the 1800s. I remember people alive when I was a child who were born during the Civil war. My dad would have known men who Fought in the Civil War if he had been in the right place at the right time.

I know all this is just so much rumination, but living 115 years bears some honor. Well done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what people have experienced who live for 10 decades. My mother died at age 98 and 1/2 years, in 1993. born in 1895 in the Galicia region of what is now the Ukraine, in Franz Joseph's empire, moved to Canada and then the U.S. she went from living in a sod house, with oxen and plows,digging a garden by hand, to the decades of the invention of the automobile, radio, electricity, indoor plumbing, television,scanning machines, and flying on a jet. But the UNchanging thing was the blessed Gospel and the Word of God, salvation in Christ, which was handed down to her from her parents and grandparents and to me and 7 siblings! THAT is true 'tradition", the paradidomi of Paul to the Corinthians, "I handed down to you...." (1 Cor.15:3)....Harold