Monday, August 01, 2016

Why Wayne Grudem is Wrong About Trump | The Resurgent



Wayne Grudem is one of the most influential Christian leaders in the
nation. Many of the lessons I taught as an intern in my local church’s
youth ministry (shoutout Ingleside Baptist) were done only after
copiously studying Grudem’s book, “Systematic Theology” (order here).
Grudem is a Professor of Theology and Biblical Studies at Phoenix
Seminary and has helped equip countless pastors to take the Gospel to
the ends of the earth. Wayne Grudem is a brother in Christ regardless of
his position to Donald Trump.

As much as I think of Grudem, he is dead wrong on Trump. Grudem recently published an article entitled “Why Voting for Donald Trump is a Morally Good Choice”. While voting for Donald Trump is not moral or immoral, I believe it is not wise. Let’s take this point by point:

Grudem opened his article with a few paragraphs in saying this about Trump:

Grudem:
“He is egotistical, bombastic, and brash. He often lacks nuance in his
statements. Sometimes he blurts out mistaken ideas (such as bombing the
families of terrorists) that he later must abandon. He insults people.
He can be vindictive when people attack him. He has been slow to disown
and rebuke the wrongful words and actions of some angry fringe
supporters. He has been married three times and claims to have been
unfaithful in his marriages. These are certainly flaws, but I don’t
think they are disqualifying flaws in this election.”
This
description by Trump supporters, who happen to be Christians, is not
uncommon. It is eerily familiar to the excuses given by an abused wife,
desperately making excuses for not leaving her husband. “I know my
husband hits me but we can work it out,” “I know my husband says awful
things about me, but it was just a mistake.” Are our standards not any
higher? Is prefacing a political endorsement with “I know he’s a
terrible person, but…” acceptable now? I honestly feel badly for Trump
supporters who justify their existence in this abusive relationship by
saying, “I know he said (something awful) and has done (something worse)
but he’s the best I have.” No. Choose higher standards. Make
politicians earn your vote. Is there a perfect candidate? No. But,
choose policy positions and character traits that you will not
compromise on. Period.

Not voting is a vote for Clinton

Grudem:
“If this election is close (which seems likely), then if someone votes
for a write-in candidate instead of voting for Trump, this action will
directly help Hillary Clinton, because she will need one less vote to
win. Therefore the question that Christians should ask is this: Can I in
good conscience act in a way that helps a liberal like Hillary Clinton
win the presidency?”
Let’s break this down… As Erick
Erickson is forced to point out many times: If not voting for Trump is a
vote for Clinton, then not voting for Clinton is a vote for Trump. It
is a zero sum game.  A “no-vote” is just that, not a vote at all. To
assume that my vote and your vote is a right of a political party is
synonymous with political enslavement. To say that they already had my
vote before I cast it, means that they are entitled to my vote. Again,
make them earn your vote. Not voting because you deem neither candidate
is qualified to run the free world is simply that, not a vote.



Read the whole thing

Why Wayne Grudem is Wrong About Trump | The Resurgent

No comments: