Tuesday, March 04, 2008

How to start a fire. Cup Your Hand. Men's Retreat

You have tried to start a fire. If everything is nice and dry and no wind is blowing and you have a blowtorch the job is easy. Anyone can do it.

It becomes more challenging is when the wind is blowing, it's wet and rainy, you only have a few matches and it's uncomfortable to do it. It's hard work.

The problem is when it's wet windy and miserable you really NEED the fire. And it's when it's most difficult.

If you are like I am, you will find some dry material and sequester it. I put it in my pocket and protect it. I keep my matches dry too. Then I find a place where I want to build the fire and get into a leeward place where wind and rain doesn't have as much impact. I might even build into the wood pile a small indent to place the dry material in my pocket.

Then at the chosen time I will hollow out a place, carefully place the dry material in there, and only then be prepared to light the fire. I will take out one match (I don't have but a few) and plan carefully where and when to strike. When I do I will cup my hand around the flame and carry it to the dry materials. I will place my whole body if needed in the place to protect the flame. If it works the fire will dry out other materials around it, then more, then it will spread and no matter the wind and rain it will become a blazing fire. It will give comfort and light to all who draw near.

Critics might say, use gasoline. Others might say, that woodpile is too wet. Hopeless. Others might say the wind and rain is too strong, don't bother. But if you just believe that a small fire can become a large one then you will take aside the fire starters and place them in a secret place to be ignited. Then once they are on fire they will ignite others.

That's what happened on the Men's Retreat this weekend. That's why we retreat. Cupping the hand around the flame. 50+ men igniting one another's flame into a blaze. What a privilege to bask in the warmth as we all burned bright.
"May the fire on the altar NEVER go out" Leviticus 6:13.

Pass It On

It only takes a spark to get a fire going.
And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing.
That’s how it is with God’s love,
Once you’ve experience it.
You spread his love to everyone;
You want to pass it on.

What a wondrous time is spring,
When all the tress are budding
The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming;
That's how it is with God's love,
Once you've experienced it.
You want to sing, it's fresh like spring,
You want to pass it on.

I wish for you my friend, this happiness that I've found;
you can depend on him, it matters not where you're bound.
I'll shout it from the mountaintop;
I want my world to know;
the Lord of love has come to me,
I want to pass it on."

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love another.”

John 13:34-35

And that is how the Men's Retreat went last weekend

1 comment:

Chief RZ said...

Thanks for Jesus. I once started a fire in a pouring rain. The trick is to get "squaw wood" from the tree and split it with your knife.