Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A visit to Holy Ground - Birthplace of Ronald Reagan

I was out looking at trees in the businesses yesterday. It took me to Tampico IL. Birthplace of Ronald Wilson Reagan. Holy Ground. I had visited before under the same circumstance. I thought you might enjoy some scenic views.

This is the building in which he was born at home. See the red door next to the bank. Thats the entrance just as it was then. Little door. They lived above the bank. I'm not sure it was a bank then. At the time of Reagan it was a bakery. To the right is the museum which is shown below. It's not tended except by appointment which if you phone the man will come right over. See the white sign on the door. Lots of Reagan memorabilia.


Below is the door to his place. When I was in the apartment, it's pretty sparse, small and humble. Greatness doesn't always come from wealth. If you read the info, the man who has passed away (Lloyd) is the one who showed me around some time back.

Below is a picture I took thru the window looking up the narrow staircase. I could tell you that is Reagans ghost, its not, just a dirty window with the sun on it. This door and staircase is barely 36" wide.
The town of Tampico on it's 150th or some such had Maureen Reagan visit before she died.

It's nice to be able to visit, you can buy a house in Tampico and become the 723rd resident. Maybe I will.

No comments: