Wednesday, March 05, 2008

When I grow up I want to be like Mike

I was proud of Mike Huckabee last night as the end came. He was gracious and inspiring. I'm not excited about McCain but I'll vote as I said I would.

We deserve better than we got as a candidate. Mike was a good one. I hope he runs again. Even with the end of the end in sight in Texas he gets 38% of the vote and McCain just cracks 50%.

It's my opinion that Mike Huckabee represents more what America is like than any of the other three people left in the race. He represents more of what the readers of Say Anything are like.

Ok, I get the idea that he believes in Jesus and that's a hang up. Sad. We live in a country where having overt faith somehow is a disqualifier for public office. I know his fair tax program and social spending policies are not what you thought they should be. The reality is Mike Huckabee is that right of Center decent moral patriotic voter that makes up the bulk of the population, democrat or republican. They are not like the wild eyed left or the jackboot right. They are people who want to see us do better, all of us.

I will miss him. What's really funny is in my circles of friends nearly all of them are or were Huckabee supporters. But then that's why I am in that circle I guess. We didn't have a conclave. We just naturally gravitated to the ideas he proclaimed.

If the Republican party wants to win in the fall, it will have to talk to the 38% that voted for Mike in Texas and those who voted in various percentages in other states. If this race gave christian social conservatives a louder voice, it was worth it.

We are here and we vote, hear us.

No comments: