Sunday, March 08, 2009

One Year and Success at Lord of Life

Last Night Peggy and I with some friends attended the Lord of Life Silent Auction dinner dance. It was a huge success. I was staggered.

The Church has had some pretty successful events in the past few months. It seems like these events have taken on a life of their own. An energy and unity I don't know that I have seen anywhere. I have been part of some very big churches, Churches with thousands of people. A couple of these events have eclipsed anything I had seen in quality and execution at any of those churches.

This doesn't happen without good planning and well thought out oversight. Pastor Phil after a solo year at the Helm has become a first class Helmsman and steers the ship better than I think anyone could have. It's astounding. I tip my hat to him.

The events have been:

A conference on the reality of the book of Genesis and creation. Several hundred people came out and it was a consequential gathering of people from the area who normally do not come to these things. I was amazed people came in this magnitude to see the speakers argument.

A Movie and Marriage event around Valentines week showing the Movie Fireproof. I had no confidence in this. Was I ever wrong. A couple hundred people, many of them first time in the door at Lord of Life came out. It was a huge success.

Last night's event which I have already mentioned. A first class dinner served on fine china, with real silverware, with tablecloths and I know many thousands of dollars were raised by the silent auction. I had such a sense of unity.

The event that was the first of this four part trifecta was the Anniversary Celebration. That really worked. And, it led us to find our new worship Leader who played that night. Billy Croft.

All these events have happened in the less than the last 60 days. They have been huge. It has infected the whole place. I think of the good turnout we had at Men of God. And so many other things. Seeing the Meeting Hall full on Sunday mornings.

WOW.

One thing that is most interesting in all this, Pastor Phil seems to always be in the background. He gives plenty of sunshine to those doing what they do. He never hogs the spotlight nor dominates the scene. He truly allows others to serve and receive the approbation they deserve. He just watches to see that it works. Maybe that's the secret. When he began listing the names of everyone who is serving at anything every Sunday it began to demonstrate to the Congregation that you have a place. It's not about him. In fact other than the fact that he prayed a prayer, had a few welcoming remarks and took some pictures last night you would not have known he was there.

All in all it's working. A year of seasoning has made him grow and the church.

I suppose we will have to wait for his book on Church Growth Strategies next. I'm kidding. But he seems to have captured a secret I don't know many have figured out. I didn't.

Good on you Sir. Lead on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
goprairie said...

Any chance we can get people interested in converting that wasted field into a prairie now by getting some serious land stewardship going? You should take me and Pastor Phil to lunch someday.