Tuesday, March 10, 2009

When Oprah Becomes the Pope-ette

From the Anchoress:
I have no doubt that there will be a “schism” within the next few decades that will find an “American Catholic Church” formed (Cardinal Mahoney will probably be its titular head) which will look quite a lot like the Church of England or the Anglican church - rites, rituals, “sacraments” etc, and it will even have the imprimatur of the government insofar as it may - and it will be a church that the majority flock to; it will be seen by many as the “victory” over that stuffy old, stubborn Church of Rome. People will go on Oprah and say “I always loved God but I never felt accepted, but this enlightened American Catholic Church tells me what I need to hear, that God loves me and that divorce, abortion and all that stuff doesn’t matter as long as I am a good person, and I AM a good person, Oprah, I AM, and now I am accepted, and (weep, weep) I feel like God finally makes sense in the world!”

“That’s right,” Oprah will declare, “there is no sin, except the sinfulness of not loving the self! God doesn’t make junk!”

Applause, applause. The only ideal that matters is the one that makes you happy and doesn’t challenge the status quo.
This Lines up exactly with the Internet Monk's article Barry Kolb posted today.

People think that folks want the traditions and the liturgical expressions of the Catholic church and that's why people are moving that direction from evangelicalism to Catholicism. NO, they want FAITH. They want to believe.

We have stripped all the Faith out of Most Denominational Churches

We have become prisoners of Reason. Luther said Reason is the Enemy of Faith. It still is.

No comments: