Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WCWJJ (Would Jesus BE a Christian?)

What Church Would Jesus Join?

Suppose Jesus came back to earth as a man somewhat incognito to accomplish his mission here. He's fully Jesus the Man incarnate. Once again on earth. I know this isn't biblical. It's out of the realm. But, go with it for a minute. If Jesus once again walked among men as a man what church would he join.

Baptist, Lutheran (which Synod?), Assembly of God, Methodist, Pentecostal...............Which.

And, how would he Vote? Republican, Democrat, Green, Libertarian, Communist or would Jesus even vote?

And where would he live? Washington? New York? Chicago? London? Jerusalem? Mumbai? Shanghai?

I have a more difficult question:
If Jesus once again walked among men would he even be a Christian? Like we see the Church in America? If you asked Jesus, (remember he's incognito) are you a Christian? what would He say?

If Jesus walked among us incognito I'm not convinced he would even be a Christian as we know and express it. He certainly wouldn't be a Church Member. He would say to us,
"This isn't it. This isn't the dream I had for the Church. This isn't what I hoped it would look like. It's all wrong".

"I wanted You, the Church, to look like ME. You don't".


You see, Jesus does walk the earth incognito. He's all around us in flesh. Flawed human flesh. You, me, flawed, human.

Then we develop these institutions, traditions and structures that don't look a bit like HIM. I know I don't look like Him. I want to. I don't. Jesus probably wouldn't be a rock hard Conservative. I don't think he would be a liberal either. I don't know for sure.

I know this, he would love irrationally. I don't. He does. He would do radical and unusual things. I'm pretty conventional. He would be far more accepting than I am.

So, the net question, when you look at what we have as a cultural church made to be "Christian" in America, would Jesus even BE a Christian?

I don't think so.

Graham Cooke asked this question of the Women at Aglow. It's on at 10AM Central Time on God TV. Check Your Schedule.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he'd be a missouri sinner lutheran