Saturday, September 13, 2008

8" = 4 Feet High and Rising

To this moment in the last 18 hours we have received 8" of rain. Remains of Gustav. Ike yet to come. It will rain all weekend. The sump pump is running and will run steady for the next few days. I hope power holds out.

We will end up in the high double digits before this is all done. I had to go to Palatine this morning. 21 miles crow flying. Normal city driving 40 minutes. 1 hr 40 going. 3 hours returning. Blocked roads because of water everywhere. More than incredible.

We are seeing water standing where water never did before and what makes this particularly
dangerous to many is that it is wide spread. When all this water hits the street so to speak we are going to see some amazing sights. Every road has water going over it somewhere along the way.

We really don't understand watershed in Illinois. Never did. I know I have told this story before but when I moved here I remember seeing huge parking lots and developments and coming from the country asking what to me seemed a reasonable question. What are they planning to do about the watershed in case of a big rain?

Nothing is the answer, drown out.

Maybe not all progress is progress (Paul Harvey).

Here are some pictures Pastor Phil Ressler from Lord of Life took. It tells the story.

No comments: