Monday, September 08, 2008

How do we know the credibility of these reports??

Julie has a post with more than a smidgen of doubt about angels appearing to people today. She has pretty much put herself in the camp of I'll believe it when I see it. That's a choice. No one has to believe anything. Walking by sight and not by faith is a safe theology, it's just not Biblical.

I was in a meeting put on by John Armstrong where he talked of Brother Yun. Brother Yun who
has a book, the Heavenly Man that has been criticized because in it he speaks of some encounters that could only be described as angelic. Since angels don't appear in the 20th century it can't be true. A large number of churches refused to have him come in and speak because of this issue. This is a pox on the doubt and unbelief culture of the American Church.

So, Julie and a large number of others have taken the position that Angelic encounters should be doubted and discounted. Sadly, the denomination of my conversion is among the leaders of this.

I have not yet seen an angel. I have heard them. I hope to see one before the angel of Death comes to get me. Here is a good balanced view of it all.

So, for those who doubt. Do we doubt the angel that appeared to Daniel, To Mary, to Zachariah, to Peter in Jail, to the soldiers at the tomb, to Elijah, To Jesus in the Garden, the three that appeared to Abraham, or Lot, or the ones going up and down Jacobs staircase, or the one that led Moses, or the one that greeted Mary at the tomb after the Resurrection and the thousands around Elisha when Gehazi's eyes were opened.

How do we know these things happened? What proof do we have? Maybe they were as whacked as the modern day accounts are written off to be. I mean we have no proof other than their accounts of the visitation. It could all be hype!

I am not concerned with God's ability to reveal himself to me. I am concerned that out of disbelief and scepticism we block ourselves from seeing all God has for us.

Without faith it is (Difficult, real hard, kind of a struggle, pretty weird) to please God? No, without faith it is impossible to please God. I want to please him. How about you?

I don't believe every single report of every angelic report William Branham, Todd Bentley, or anyone else ever reported. I on the other hand have made a clear attempt to distance myself from the heresy hunters disguised as "Mainline Charismatics" which I am sad to say many good people have become. It seems like Charisma Magazine has become a Christian National Enquirer.

The fear of Man is a Snare. Trying to fit in is a snare. Believing in Angels doesn't allow a person to fit very well. It could cause a person to be an outcast. On the other hand if you have a fear of man it will keep you from being an outcast and cause you to be accepted by many people. It's a tough choice, being part of the family with Faith in God as an outcast or accepted in the Mainline. I know where I want to be. Join me in believing. It's a safe place to be. As I preached about a few weeks ago, Unbelief is one of the sins Jesus hates most.

5 comments:

struggle2strength said...

Here is what I have to say about the whole "Seeing is believing" theory. I cant see the air, but i can see the leaves rustling and i can feel something against my body. Does someone who is color blind still believe in color? Does someone who is blind believe that people exist. Can you see the brain in your head, and have you ever seen it? Then how we know it exists? Faith. Have you ever sen your own heart? Then how do you know you have one? Faith. At times you cant trust your vision. Look down at the veins in your arm, what color are they? Blue, correct? Now when you get a cut, what color blood comes out of the blue veins, RED!!! Sight can be deceiving, so trust your other senses as well. I would refer to the Jason Upton's song Fly from the CD Remember, with the angelic voice in the background. I ave not seen an angel, I believe that I have heard at least one, and I know that i have been in the presence of at least one.

KD said...

Well I have seen them :D. It is not something sought for but a divine encounter. You can't MAKE angels manifest.

We serve the Lord of Hosts. Just what do people think is a host? Is it like the maitre'd at a posh eatery? Perhaps at the banqueting table.

There are people who have the gift of seeing in the supernatural realm. No one has to believe it. It is a fact. Like a mole, you may have a mole, you probably were born with it.

I have a gift that people cannot see in my head LOL!

Our whole entire faith is based on an angelic encounter. I do think the Angel who brought a message to Mary, DID give direction.

Joseph got direction from a DREAM for heaven's sake. The Lord's name is FROM AN ANGEL! HELLO hahahha! Matthew 1:20

How many people today would receive an angel if one appeared like the one with Mary?

Sheesh LOL!!

Julie said...

I don't believe I said I doubted the existence of angels or that they appear.

I indicated, by including George Wood's comment, that I doubt they provide doctrine. And I also suggested that I get uncomfortable around the abuse of people focused on the angels and not on God.

Big difference.

Gene said...

Of course Julie is right. (I hate when she is right)

I put words in her mouth. An unsanitary act.

So, sorry Julie.

You didn't say you didn't believe in angels.

I'm just concerned by the idea that we can hedge and not damage those who are just coming into all this.

KD said...

Yup Julie is right!

Angel abuse hotline... 1 800 777 7777

Report angel abuse!

(Sorry, still feeling spunky...)