Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Off to Nebraska and Stuff

Yesterday about NOON Kevin came and picked up everything he owns in the world, loaded it in the back of a u-haul and a small SUV and moved kit and caboodle to Lincoln NE. He's a coffee expert in training.

It was hard as always to see him go. He's my boy, all 37 years. It wasn't hard to see all his STUFF go. He has a lot of stuff. All his stuff was in our house. A lot of his stuff at least.

Course at my age I couldn't get all I own in the back of an SUV and a U-HAUL.

It would still take two large moving vans. I have a lot of stuff. Too much. I thought about the freedom one gets from less stuff. I thought about the reality that someday if I live long enough my stuff will have to fit in the closet of a nursing home, and then
someday I'll leave it all behind.

Even the suit they dress me in to place me in the ground won't be with me when I'm gone. I'll even leave that behind.

I'll just be clothed in Glory. I'll look good.

All my stuff will stay behind for others to worry about. My kids won't want it, my siblings won't want it, so it will all be sold at auction, thrown in a dumpster or given away. Even my shoes. Maybe someone will want my guitars. And violin. And zither. And trumpet. and bass. and and and.

No one will want my computers. They were out of date the second I bought them.

Into this world I came with nothing and will leave the same way. Why do I even worry about stuff.

I worry less and less.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may never know exactly how this feels.

I imagine it is not all easy to watch the tail lights as they disappear around the corner.

goprairie said...

i'll take the violin now it it helps!

goprairie said...

i applaud his courage to do a new thing. frank taught me to drink coffee at 45. marty taught me to smoke at 42. i got my ears peirced at 44. ken taught me to appreciate red wine instead of snooty white zin at 48. stella learned to fly at 50. people like your son are my heros. i hope he does well at it and is happy. i think i will go make a cup of coffee with my french press in his honer right now!