Sunday, October 14, 2007

The optimism of planting bulbs

Yesterday I spent the afternoon planting hundreds of various bulbs for spring.

Hyacinth, Tulips, Allium, Crocus, Narcissus, Daffodils, and a bunch of other things.

While I was doing this I thought a great deal about how much faith it takes to plant a flower bulb.

First, there's the chipmunks and squirrels. They love to eat bulbs. I try to plant late enough in the year that perhaps I'll get some root set and the rodentia are going to bed soon or have their

Second, I have to believe I will be here to enjoy them in the spring. I know there's no danger but I did think the thought.

Third, I have to believe that I will get to enjoy them because the make it.

Some years ago i planted several hundred bulbs in a garden I created. The first year I got half to come up. The second half again. Now perhaps 10% emerge in the spring.

It takes a lot of faith to plant flower bulbs.
bellies full.

No comments: