Saturday, November 17, 2007

Lifes Bumps

Yesterday after NOT getting a large order I was counting on from the State of Illinois I was brooding.  Irritated.  Maybe a little angry.
 
Then I found out my SON Tim had just sawed the end off his left hand thumb.  Just sawed  it off. Down to the nail bed.  He's a carpenter and things happen when you work with power tools, but when it's your own boy it's harder.
 
And, pastoral wise I have been carrying a little more than I  want to.  Sometimes the profound pain and difficulty people are facing overwhelms me.
 
Life has bumps.  Mine aren't big.  They're just there. 
 
An apocryphal story is about a man who ceaselessly complains to God about all his troubles.  So after hearing all he wanted to hear God snatches him off the earth and takes him to heavens storage shed.  In there is a pile of bags each containing individually the troubles of all the people on the planet.  Each bag labeled with the pain each person was feeling and their name.  When you opened the bag you got the full manifestation of what they were facing.
 
The angel of God tells the complainer that he is allowed to inspect all the bags of trouble in the storeroom and trade his troubles for anyone else's on the planet.  He immediately goes for some famous people, important people, rich people and even friends he knows who he always thought "had it made".  But upon inspecting each bag of troubles he would move on to the next bag.
 
After hours and hours the man summons the angel and says he's ready to return to earth.  Which bag are you returning with the angel asks, "My own".  Without surprise or amazement the man returns instantly to face the circumstances in life with a new understanding.
 
I never can really knew how much each person's heart is breaking and when I compare my sorrow to theirs I understand and can deal with mine better.  I'm not certain I could deal with theirs".  
 
If I could be that man I am confident I would return with my own bag of problems too.  I don't know one  person I would rather be than me, not because I don't have problems, but because God equipped me to do what I am able to do within the circumstances I am facing.
 
Just for this weekend, I will treat every man, woman and child I meet with this attitude of Love, "Treat them as if their heart were breaking, because if you could look deep inside, it is". 
 
I know this seems out of character for radical right wing warmonger Gene.  I just keep getting these downloads of the Father Heart of God in Jesus. 
 
It's a little overwhelming.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Just for this weekend, I will treat every man, woman and child I meet with this attitude of Love…”

Just this weekend???

Man, I try to do that every day. I fail of course, but I try.

Sorry to hear about your son. I feel for fellow carpenters who lose fingers.

Wish him well for me.

Today is a good day to live. Enjoy it.

(you didn’t lose out to Valley Crest by chance did you?)

Anonymous said...

“And, pastoral wise I have been carrying a little more than I want to. Sometimes the profound pain and difficulty people are facing overwhelms me.”


Take care of yourself, Gene. Ask for help. Engage a confidant of your own. No not your wife. A third party. Share your burden. Do not go it alone. There are many people who would give everything to help you. Of that I am sure.

Anonymous said...

Not just for the weekend...make it a life style change. It will improve their lot and yours as well.

Gene said...

I'm sure you must be aware that the idea of "just for today" is modified in saying "Just for this weekend" is one from the 12 step programs like AA.

Just for Today. Then just for the next day. One day at a time.

I know that if I say, I will never again do thus and so and I fail it is discouraging. But if I say, Just for Today, or Just for this weekend, It's doable. One day I can be kind and caring. Then another. Etc.

It's a coping thing for me. Maybe for you.

Anonymous said...

12 steps?
I know nothing about 12 steps.

Is that like line dancing where everyone does the same thing? I never understood what the appeal was in that.

For me, if I am only thinking one day at a time it’s kinda like looking down at my feet while I am walking. It really would be a shame to miss all this wonderful scenery. But that’s what works for me. But then again I believe today is a good day to live. I probably fit into a Zen or Buddhist pigeonhole. Come to think of it, one day at a time is quite like “Be here now.” Gene maybe you should read some Ram Dass or Alan Watts or DT Suzuki or at least the Tao of Pooh. Yeah, read the Tao of Pooh.

My Pepperdine Waves lost tonight to Cal State Northridge. They are mostly sophs and frosh. They played hard but just didn’t get any breaks. I think it will be a long long season for them. Poor kids, losing is not fun at all. Tomorrow I’m off to see Mom. (R) since ’68, voting (D) next time, then to the christening of my cousins’ twins and then to my BB game. Have a peaceful Sunday Gene. Take care.

Gene said...

There must have been a bad karma in the football continuum.

North Dakota State, My Alma Mater, unbeaten Bison of 15 games in a row yesterday succumb to the bunnies of South Dakota State. This Bison Team that put fear in mighty and vanquished the Minnesota UofM Gophers. That team who beat the Badgers yesterday, beaten by SDSU. How humiliating.

And my favorite Local IL team, Northwestern Wildcats, formerly of Rose Bowl Fame 2001 who have pre med 4 point students on the team (I love to see smart kids play football) that team lost to Illinois. Brains lost to brawn.

Big long day of ministry today. I'm off.

All the best to your family.

Anonymous said...

There must have been a bad karma in the BB continuum.

2 of our guys didn’t show up, I had to play the whole game…we lost by 17. They could not miss…I could not miss either but I only shot 3 times. But the rest of my team…not so much tonight…oh well we are still in first place but now we will be tied. I think we have the tie breaker for the playoffs though.

The baby twins are ….healthy….boy my cuz has some fat kids….but they will grow out and be great kids. (Did I ever tell you about my cousin?)

Hope your day was hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Pastor Phil said...

I was checking out what you wrote about Willow Creek, but I have to say that this caught my attention as being so profound.

"Treat them as if their heart were breaking, because if you could look deep inside, it is".