Friday, August 31, 2007

Trapped or Entrapped

I have been pretty quiet about the whole Larry Craig Brouhaha. I don't have a dog in that fight. I never knew who he was till this whole thing blew up.

Now I do.

I am somewhat disturbed by it all. I can't tell you why. It's like a bad movie. When the cops seem to be above board but something stinks. My skin crawls a bit. I think there may be more than meets the eye here.

First, let me say I am not a big fan of Minnesota and particularly Twin Cities law enforcement. I very much remember the child molestation charges leveled against some people who never did anything wrong in a daycare some years ago. That was typical Minnesota. There is a liberal self righteousness that exists that I am uncomfortable with. A witch hunt mentality among law enforcement people.

As I have watched this whole Larry Craig thing develop I'm no longer convinced he wasn't entrapped. I have trolled the blogosphere and professional opinion for insight. There is no true consensus.

The Right Wing wants to show itself clean and perfect. They're not. But that's what they want to show.

I am as concerned over this whole thing as potential entrapment as I am over the sexual predator shows on NBC. I think something stinks about all that deal too. I want sexual predators in jail. I'm just not convinced we are catching predators but just stupid people entrapped by a clever scheme.

Color me sceptical.

Back to Larry Craig. I listened to and read his interview with the cop. I thought the cop was a bit overboard in his comments.

Here are several other opinions worth considering:

A guy who is convinced that this is all over but the shouting.

This guy thinks Crag was trapped in a sting operation and shouldn't have been maybe.

This professor insists it's NOT entrapment. My answer, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has feathers like a duck I think you may have a duck on your hands.

This Woman insists it's all hypocrisy and cultural drift

This College Girl thinks it's kinda weird

The Best Take on all this in "Defense" of Larry Craig

Classical Values does a great review and linkology of the whole thing

Newsbusters (who I like) does a Why Do The Liberals Pile On review

I actually think the liberals on this one have been pretty evenhanded.

My real concern is what in the world are the Republicans thinking of in having the REP convention in The Twin Cities next summer? If I were a delegate I would hold it for the whole 5 days. You never know if the toe tapping sting squad is going to be watching.

How bout Sunny St. Charles? We promise not to ask or tell. Give up on MPLS/ST PAUL. They're out to get you. On the other hand, if you come here, don't tap your foot or wave your hand.

No comments: